Thursday 24 March 2011

Veg and nut wellington

I'm still developing this one. I've made it twice so far, once with puff pastry and once with shortcrust. The heart of the dish is made with a recipe from Cranks for nut roast. This mixture is balanced be a moist layer of mashed veg, which is surrounded by a single leaf layer of cabbage or spinach, followed by pastry. The whole is then baked in a hot oven, to be eaten with  a tangy green salad.

The first effort (shortcrust) was very good. The mashed veg was swede and butternut squash, with nutmeg, sitting on spinach.

The second effort is in the freezer. Puff pastry, gently fried onion with steamed sweet potato and some fried nutmeg, with a divider of savoy cabbage.

The main thing is that the puff and short crust pastry are both shop bought and are vegan, hurray.

I think this one is a winner. I've eaten it twice, both with cabbage. It was nothing but yum. And packed with protein. In the tradition of cooks everywhere I do want to brag, and in order to disguise that I'll say, if I say so myself, this is very good.





No comments:

Post a Comment