Wednesday 16 March 2011

wheat free lemon cake

I love lemon cake, and I was intrigued when I came across a six line recipe called gateau mousseline in my new favourite classic cook book, Ginette Mathiot's La cuisine pour tous. It uses potato starch flour, and no fat. The result is a wonderfully light and pale cake, perfumed with lemon (not soapy). It's quick and easy, but I wouldn't want to make it without an electric whisk.

The eggs are separated, the yolks beaten with the sugar, after the whites have been whipped into a frothy light mass. Then the two are folded together - don't let anything interrupt this process, or you may end up with some slightly unpleasant chewy lumps. The tin should be 2/3 full, since the egg mixture rises like a souffle.

I used a bundt tin, the one that looks like a donut, slathered in butter. The cake needs to be thoroughly cooked and completely cooled before getting it out of the tin. It is so light that it has no weight to help loosen it..

I topped it with a slightly liquid lemon buttercream, nice and sharp. I've noticed some recipes use vanilla alongside lemon, but for me that is just wrong. I want that citrus bite. If I'd had any, I would have put a layer of lemon curd in it.

I looked for other recipes online and elsewhere that made cake in this way, and came up with chiffon cake. However, the recipes I found use ordinarly flour.

This isn't a keeping cake, it's a cake for eating promptly. It would be wonderful for a many layered cake.

Recipe

Set oven to Gas Mark 4

Preparation, approx 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45m

Butter a 20cm/8" deep cake tin, very well

Ingredients

125g potato starch flour
75g sugar
5 eggs
zest of 1 lemon

separate the eggs, putting yolks and whites in two separate mixing bowls
whisk the whites with an electric whisk for a minute, then add a teaspoon of sugar and keep whisking until whites are stiff
whisk the egg yolks with the sugar, until they are thick and creamy
fold in the potato starch flour with the lemon zest
fold in the egg whites, combining everything well
pour into greased cake tin - fill to 2/3 to allow for rising

cook for 45 minutes

allow to cool completely before turning out




No comments:

Post a Comment